Saturday, January 9, 2010

Day 1- The Man Of The House


My husband, you know the one. The husband whom I rely on for just about everything. My Best Friend, My Chef. My Nanny. My Baby Daddy. Yeah, that one, well he decided to hightail it out of here. I know what every one's thinking. "Shit, bout time he leaves her ass" Screw Y'all! He's returning to me. The Authors just went to Dallas to record their first full length album. FOR A WEEK (and 1 day)! This is great for The Authors, this in not great for The Wife

This is the part where I tell y'all a little secret about myself. Prepare yourself. Everyone Good? Alright...I SUCK! Justin, over the 13 years that we've been together, has spoiled the living shit out of me. Y'all know this about me already, don't you? He cleans for me, he cooks for me, he always says the right thing at the right moment, he keeps me sane, he astounds me with his amazingness. I am a self proclaimed spoiled fucking brat! Hate Me. I don't care. Its just the way it is. I do my part, I don't sit around sipping wine all day. I am the Mama after all. However, Justin makes my life simple. We have a system. A system that the functioning of relies heavily on Justin

I know I will survive this. I know how to scrub a toilette, how to cook a meal (Torchey's Holla!), I can feed the dog (shit, note to self, don't forget to feed the dog). These things are not a problem. The problem staying sane after a week of single parenting. Justin and I are members of the tag team( back again) approach to parenting. We do, run, play, tolerate, until we break, then we run away, grab the other and say " I. I. I can't do this anymore. Go. They're yours. I. Have. Had. IT!!" Then we decompress, hit the reset button, and all is good. This is how we keep what little sanity we have. So Justin is gone FOR A WEEK! ( and 1 day) and y'all, I'm not gonna have anyone to Tag! This is what worries me. I can't tag the dog. I can't tag the baby? I can't tag the family members who have offered to help us out ( I can't, trust me on this), I'm gonna be tag-less FOR A WEEK! (and 1 day)


I realize that this week is nothing compared to what some go through on a daily basis. I understand that being a single parent is probably the hardest thing anyone will ever do. I understand that I'm a brat for making a deal out of this. But, seriously, I know that this is going to be difficult for ME. Why am I going to share the experiences of my WEEK! (and 1 day) with y'all? Because its just the kind of person I am. I love to expose myself (a conversation for another day) It will also give me something to do after the kids go to sleep, and my bed sits empty, unmade from the previous night.


One, Two, Three, GO

Day 1:

Saturday January 9, 2010

It was a tearful goodbye this morning at the Prater house. Bodhi was being his cute, sweet, lovable little self . Making it even harder for Justin to pack up his bags and head out the door. I was so sad to see him go. We had the last 3 days/nights off together (which never happens) so I got kinda used to having him around. I was sad y'all, I'm not gonna lie. Jaxon asked me why I had tears. He kept saying "Mama, he's coming back" Oh, the beauty of having no concept of time.

After Justin left, I casually mentioned to Jaxon that he was now the man of the house. As soon as those words fell off my tongue he puffed out his chest, and stood upright with pride. He was clearly up for the challenge. I asked him what he thought the Man of the house was supposed to do. He spouted off some very manly characteristics, such as sweeping the floor, cleaning out the dishwasher, and cooking dinner. I chuckled (under my breath, because the child f-a-reaks out if you laugh at him)and moved on. I had no idea that Jaxon's new found role as Man of The House would be so monumental.

The child, swept the floors, took Jaya outside and threw the ball around with her, cleaned up his room, cleaned out the shower, put up his clothes, made sure Bodhi had all the snacks he needed, he cleaned up after lunch and dinner, he practical made A freaking King Ranch casserole. He ended all his sentences in "yes Maam" or "please" or "Thank you" He was allstar today y'all. All-Freaking-Star. And throughout it all, he made sure to hug me and give me a kiss and tell me how beautiful I was. If I could have bottled up Jaxon, Man of The House, I would have. It was seriously the best day ever. Sweet Bodhi was sweet Bodhi, he colored for a solid 2 hours and ate every single snack like item in my house.

I miss Justin like crazy though. I am so proud of him, and so grateful that he's getting this fantastic opportunity but it still burns.

Today in the car Jaxon and I had this beautiful conversation:

Jaxon: "I think I have a tear Mama"

Me: "A tear? Why do you have a tear"

Jaxon: "I think its because I miss Daddy"

Me: "Oh, I know baby, I miss Daddy too"

Jaxon: "Actually, I think its because I'm cold"

So yeah, that's pretty much it. Day 1 was amazing. My kids were amazing. All this means for me is that tomorrow, tomorrow is going to probably be the worst day of my life. Can't wait to see. I'm off the bed at 9:19pm not because I'm tired, but because I'm bored.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I am selfishly pleased Justin is gone if that means we get more blog posts from you. The "he practically made a king ranch casserole" line had me in stiches.