Friday, July 31, 2009

There's just something about long hair on little boys that I absolutely LOVE. After Bodhi's last haircut, I decided I would let it grow out again.

Unfortunately, Bodhi's hair had other plans. Something happened after the last haircut. Something horrific. Brace yourself...Bodhi developed, gasp, Prater HAIR!!! AHHHGGG!!!!!!!!

For those unaware of the horrific locks the Prater family possesses let me give you the low down. Its thick. Its straight. Its crazy. It doesn't sit down on the head like a normal humans would. It grows at the speed of light, but never in the right direction. Hair dressers run at even the thought of having to cut it. Imagine a post lightning bolt strike across the cranium while holding a metal stop sign. Yes, exactly.

However, I'm stubborn. I was convinced that once it got past a certain point it would settle into something manageable. So I started to let it grow, and I waited patiently for a couple of months, until one day, today to be exact, I woke up and decided it needed to go! And by go, I meant OFF! NOW!

I suggest taking him to the old reliable. The Cool Cuts, or KidZ CutZ, or Kidz Cut, whatever. The place with the movies, and the lollipops, and the toys, and the firetruck chair, and the really bitchy staff that hate their ever loving lives and only come to work to support their Meth addiction. Yes, that place.

Justin has other plans though. He promises that the Great Clips near our house has a kids chair. He claims that the staff is somehow better. They don't have that craziness that only a person who cuts kids hair and only kids hair could possess.

We arrive at our destination, at about 9:15am. As I walk in I immediately notice that there is not a firetruck chair. I give Justin the, "uh, what the Hell?" look and he gives me back the "Why you looking at me like that?" look and through the next 2 seconds of facial "dialogue" I get this from Justin, "I will NOT be taking my kid to the Crazy Meth Kids Cut place over a flippin' Firetruck chair, sit your ass down, this kid is getting a haircut at Great Clips woman". So we gave them our name.

A very patient looking man is standing at the desk, wishing he would have called in to work this morning. He sizes up the Prater hair on the 18 month old, who won't even walk into the establishment because he is too good for holding hands these days, nor can we pick him up. So we have to stand on either side of the child as though he's a cow and corral him to places.

Justin gets the privilege of holding Bodhi down in the chair, considering that he promised they had a "kid chair" and all, I feel like he deserved that privilege. And as you will soon see, I don't think Justin will EVER make that mistake again.

Justin sits down in the chair, Bodhi sits in his lap. Bodhi starts to realize something is going down and wants nothing to do with it. I quickly grab a lollipop, he takes one lick and then totally flips the F out! The stylist internally questions his choice in professions, turns to me and describes the sharpness and length of his scissors and asks if he should proceed. I was ready to run out the joint with my crying, freaking out toddler when I hear Justin say, go for it. And with the quickness of a skilled Knife fighter he snips and buzzes and snips some more all while managing to hold on a conversation about the meaning of Bodhi's name with Justin. Meanwhile I am curled into a ball in the corner trying to find my happy place. The Kid Cut God looks at me and suggests I should be filming this for the poor child's future, just as I was debating on if he would even have a future after this. I was convinced this was the point at which he would shy away from society and lock himself in his room for all of eternity to play video games on the interweb. I snap out of my retreat and hesitantly pull out my camera along with Bodhi's favorite Cliff Bar. I gently try to shove a bite of the Cliff Bar into his mouth and we make eye contact and he looks at me like "How, how are you letting them do this to me, you are my mother?" I then hit record.



2 comments:

Hilary said...

I'm ROFL at the description of Kidz Cuts!! However, one phone call/text to me and I could've told you that, sadly, there is no kid chair @ Great Clips. Hello?! That's my personal salon! I also could've given you a coupon too ;)
Can't wait to see pics of the new do. He's getting SO big!

Shan said...

hahahahahahaha. I love Justin's "kill me now" smile at the end. Priceless video.=)