Saturday, November 1, 2008

Halloween Part II : Can you carve out my eyeballs please?


Pumpkin Carving:
I DESPISE carving pumpkins. It hasn't always been this way. I have great memories of pumpkin carving as a child, which is probably why I insist on OUR family doing it every year. I probably enjoyed it as a child because all you had to do was draw some triangles, a couple teeth and then pass it to mom so she could do all the hard work. The digging, the scraping, the carving, the punching, the cussing, the hitting, the yelling... So this year lived up to my high expectations. We spent $26 on pumpkins about a month ago. We put off carving them till Halloween day. We brought the kids outside. For some reason Justin thought it was a great idea to do this in the garage with a crawling baby who eats anything he can get his little fist over. Bodhi was also hungry, it was nap time and Jaxon was in some sort of post cupcake decorating-sugar induced- manic phase. In other words we couldn't have picked a better time. We gave Jaxon his permanent marker and he made sure to draw the "face" he wanted carved. Because he is 3 and knows how to draw a face? Nope, because he's 3 and he knows how to draw squiggles and circles and zigzags. So with this marker Jaxon drew his "face", he then drew on my jeans, on his brother, and on all the other pumpkins. Meanwhile Bodhi's crawling around the garage floor looking for all kinds of fun stuff to put in his mouth. Justin was standing back not speaking and waiting for me to blow at any second. It was only a matter of time. I swooped up Bodhi, threw a handful of pumpkin guts onto the floor and migrated inside where I could set Bodhi on a floor that wasn't covered with screws, mower blades, and knives. Next thing I know Justin in his oh so calm, never getting angry or irritated with me attitude,(damn him for being so zen) began carving and digging and scraping and in no time at all he had a masterpiece. Oh yes, another successful pumpkin carving year. I Can't wait till next year!

Although it appears that Justin just got back from a trip to Pro Nails, his nail its actually silver from the spray paint on Jaxon's costume.


Clearly Bodhi takes after me.



Jaxon was not impressed at first. However he quickly became a fan when he realized a marker was involved.

The finished product.
Don't ask about the other 3 pumpkins.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol i wont ask. that was funny! i babysit a 2 (almost 3) year old who scribbles with any writing utensil he finds so i know how u feel! this is better than tv!

Hilary said...

Whatever. You know a certain someone we know took J out for a boys day at Pro Nails. Don't lie.